Monday, October 29, 2012

Channeling my inner "Pioneer Woman"



I love this woman!  Talk about someone who seems to have it all together..she can cook, homeschools her kids, is an amazing photographer, an avid blogger, stylish, and lives on a ranch with her family.

And she's totally turned me on to something I've not been a big fan of before.

Coffee.

I've never been a coffee drinker (except when I was little..with a lot of sugar to rid it of that bitter taste, of course!).  I do like (ok, loooove) me a caramel frappe at McD's.  But iced coffee?  I didn't think so.

And then I came across a blog post the Pioneer Woman (aka Ree) had done on her insanely good iced coffee.  She talked about how much she loved it and had to start her day with some.  And what caught my eye, was she tried several recipes until she nailed it.

That's the mark of a good cook.

I thought well..if I'm gonna give this a shot..I'm gonna do it her way since she's tested several methods.  First..you start with cold water and coffee.  I halved the original recipe just because the full version makes ALOT and I didn't know if I was going to like this or not.  You mix the cold water and coffee and let it sit 8 hours or overnight.  Then you strain the coffee mixture using a strainer and some coffee filters, and filter the coffee into a clean container.  Its alot of work, but worth it.   Then you chill your cold brewed coffee in the fridge until its good and cold.

When your ready for a glass, just fill your glass up with ice (though I normally don't do this..I'm thinking once the ice starts to melt its gonna dilute everything..frozen coffee cubes would probably be a better idea).  Fill  your glass about half full of the coffee.  Then you add some nice half and half (I bought fat free cause lets face it..its gonna pack on some pounds!) and any flavorings you might like (caramel is my weapon of choice).  She also makes it sometimes by adding a couple teaspoons of sweetened condensed milk and half and half.  I have tried this.  Oh my word..its good! 

REE_5047

If you would like to make this..(and I think you should!)..head over and try Ree's iced coffee.  You won't be disappointed!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments! Thanks for stopping by!