Thursday, August 8, 2013

Review of "Harriet Beamer Strikes Gold" by Joyce Magnin

I recently read this book and have to say, it was such an enjoyable read!!  I loved the storyline of Harriet, her basset hound Humphrey, and their new life in Grass Valley, California living with her son Henry and wife Prudence.  Harriet embarks on an adventure of a lifetime, leasing a gold mine from a couple strangers she meets in town one day, all the while knowing really nothing about gold mining and the risks.  Her friend from back east, Martha, comes for a visit and the twists and turns of Harriet's adventure really takes off from there! 

This book definitely had me laughing most of the way through and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a 'light' read..that is..something that will leave you smiling once you put it down!  The author was very clear in her descriptions of the characters too.  I could just envision Harriet when she made many trips into town in her colorful sneakers as well as her vast collection of her beloved salt and pepper shakers!  All in all, this was just the kind of book I was looking to review and I can't wait to read more books by Joyce Magnin in the future!

I read this book in exchange for my review from Booksneeze and this is my personal opinion of this book.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments! Thanks for stopping by!