Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Homeschool Life

2020.

Wow. I don’t think anyone could have predicted what an unpredictable year this would be for everyone across the world.  It’s changed so many things for all of us.  Jobs, school, church, get togethers, and even down to shopping and eating out! 

I know I’m not the only mom who jumped into the homeschool wagon this year, given the COVID-19 crisis and what it has done to the public school system.  Now I don’t know how things are going down where you’re at, but here in West Virginia, it’s nothing short of crazy.  We have a color coded map that’s released every Saturday to determine if your county gets to attend school in person, or remote.  And if you do go, it’s only 2 days a week based on your last name if you go Monday and Tuesday or Thursday and Friday.  Then you have the virtual option.

And then, thank God, there was homeschooling!

Now let me say first and foremost, I’m not one of those “anti-public school” people. I love our school (I still call it our school because I hope we can return one day when things are more normal). I love the faculty. I love the sense of community there.  I was active in our school in years past and volunteered a lot. I loved it!  I loved doing read aloud for Makayla’s class and being there to help the teachers out when I could. 

But I have to say, I don’t miss the craziness that is there now. I’m glad I don’t have to wonder what color we are this week or if this is the week the virus hits our school.  I miss what was.  I am so thankful we live in a country where we can homeschool our children if we please. I’m thankful I CAN stay at home and do this. 

Now I’m not going to lie, we have had our struggles. Each day presents a new challenge. But we have learned to work together as a team.  There are so many resources out there to help along the way.  I’ve also had a couple teachers reach out and ask how we are doing or answer a few questions I’ve had from her school.  That means A LOT!!!  But all in all, I feel like we are doing extremely well thus far! 

I’m just going to leave y’all with a few pictures of our life now. I know most of you see this on Facebook, but for those who don’t, welcome to our homeschool world this year!

(And yes I realize this is the first time I’ve posted in over a year!)


(Making imprints of leaves)

(Field trip!)

(Doing some latitude and longitude) 


(Learning about Betsy Ross)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments! Thanks for stopping by!