Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Walking by Faith


Sometimes in life, you just don't understand why things happen to you.  Or others you know.   We can't always understand why good things happen to bad people, and bad things happen to good people.  We wait for answers to our problems.  Praying and hoping things will change.

Then they do.  But not the way we thought they would.

That was me today. 

As alot of you know, my husband (Damon) has been laid off from his job in the coal mines since March of this year.  It has been a rough year for us.  We've done alot of praying.  We've worried alot, especially here lately.  We are currently on an extension of unemployment benefits.  For anyone who's never been there before or doesn't know what that means, its basically the last of the last of anything you can draw from unemployment compensation.  Its the end of the line, basically.  After that runs out, your on your own.

We were due to run out right around Christmas.  I have been worried alot lately and Damon had been too.  So much so that both of us has lost alot of sleep.  We've had more restless nights than restful ones in the past month or so.  I've prayed like never before. 

Believe me, don't ever think that this can't happen to you.  When he was working, things were going great.  We didn't have any worries in the world.  Then our world was turned upside down.  I thought it couldn't happen to us..but it has twice in the last 4 years. 

Damon got the call today.  But it wasn't the call I had hoped for.  The job he has been offered pays probably the same as what we've been drawing while unemployed, maybe even less.  Its not the answer I thought God was going to bring us.

I was upset.  I cried alot this morning and thought how could things go from bad to worse?  You know how the mind goes to the extremes when you get news you don't expect.  But after I had alot of time to get settled down (and take a much needed nap after a yet another sleepless night), I realize that God knew this was going to happen.  He knows why this is the job he needs right now.  I feel like he's preparing us.  For better things. 

Sometimes you have to walk in the valley to appreciate the view from the mountaintop.

I realize things could be worse.  The job could be really far away (which its not..its only a couple minutes drive from our home) and what pay he did get...alot would go to gas money.  He couldn't have gotten this job at all and in a couple short months we'd find ourselves trying to live off of our savings. 

So I'm thankful.  Even though he's not started yet (there are still a few more things he has to get taken care of like paperwork and drug tests), I'm praising God for the prayer He answered.  It might not have been what either of us had hoped for, but its an answer. 

We're walking in faith right now, knowing that even though we can't see whats ahead of us, God does.  And we're totally trusting in Him that He knows what is best for us and will sustain us.

Psalm 55:22 "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved."


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments! Thanks for stopping by!