No..I don't mean judging...I mean stereotyping.
Let me explain a little more.....
I'm from West Virginia. "We" tend to get stereotyped a lot.
- dumb/under educated
- toothless (yes..I said it! half joking!)
"Oh those poor, poverty-stricken people..all they know how to do is mine coal and make moonshine"
Grrrrrr! I want to set the facts straight to some who may not know any better.
- Coal miners are NOT poor. They make a very good living in fact. The reason they do struggle is when they face layoffs, which can happen a lot in this industry. A lot of things go into that, lack of demand and politics are the two most dominant ones. Trust me..you DON'T want to get me started on politics and coal mining!
- West Virginians are not stupid. Sure, there are always a few in the bunch who makes the headlines and then everyone across the country assumes all people from here are the same way. That's a dumb conclusion to make. I don't look at California and think that everyone is like OJ Simpson!
- And about the whole under educated thing, WV is home to Marshall and WVU. Nuff said.
- Hillbilly..well..I don't know what to make of that really! Its kinda like this..if your from WV and you call another West Virginian a hillbilly..its ok. But if someone from another state calls a West Virginian a hillbilly its usually looked at as an insult! I guess media has made the word hillbilly a kind of insult. Go figure.
But you all know what I mean..stereotypes are everywhere. Here are a few that came to mind...
- People from Ohio don't know how to drive on the right side of the road (its a WV joke).
- Those from New Jersey say swear words more than normal words.
- People from 'up north' are rude.
- Those who live in the Midwest must be crazy to live where tornadoes strike.
- If your from Texas you must wear cowboy boots. Everyday. And eat steak.
- All Alaskans are eskimos.
- Everyone from California is rich, drives a convertible, and has botox injections on their lunchbreak.
See what I mean? But of course, none of what I wrote it true. I've known people from just about every state or region I just mentioned and they aren't that 'way'.
Just like West Virginians aren't all dumb, poverty ridden, hillbillies. ;-)