Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Sharpness of the tounge

We've all been there.  Or maybe its just me.  Anyways, we'll say something before we think about it.

And then you can never take it back.

The Bible speaks of how we should guard our tongues because it can be damaging. 

Proverbs 21:23 - "Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles."

James 3:8 - "But the tongue can no man tame; [it is] an unruly evil, full of deadly poison."

On Sunday, my tongue got the best of me.  In front of everyone at church, no less!  To say I felt terrible is an understatement.  But a long story short, I had to drive back to the house to grab my keys to the church (we just live about 1/4 of a mile from our church) because nobody could get in.  I left Damon and Makayla with the rest of the congregation waiting on the steps of the church.  Makayla, of course, cried when I left and the whole time.  When I got back and raced up the stairs to unlock the door, Damon let loose of her hand and she fell.  She's ok..she scratched her nose up a bit.  But I snapped at Damon and told him in a harsh voice "You HAVE to hold her hand!!!!". 

Not my proudest moment.

I apologized to him but you know, when we say something and apologize we can be forgiven, but its always not forgotten.  The scripture from the book of James rings very true in my case as no man can tame his tongue.  Or woman in this case!  This is an area of my life that needs work.  I know with God's help I can get better. But I also know that I'll never be perfect.  I'll fail.  And fail again.  But I'll strive until my time is up to control this tongue of mine. 

Because those I love are dear to me and the last thing I ever want to do is hurt them. 






Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I've been there too, Melanie, snapping at Derek in front of other people. It is so hard to try to tame the tongue!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments! Thanks for stopping by!