Saturday, July 3, 2010

Adventures at the farmer's market...

I was fortunate enough on friday to head over to one of my favorite places..the farmer's market!!  In the spring..its brimming full of flowers as far as the eye can see..in the summer..produce of all colors, shapes, and sizes.  Its almost (notice I said almost) enticing enough to become a vegetarian (at least this time of the year when everything is fresh!)!!  Damon and I scoured all the fresh produce, from corn and beans, to beets and eggplant, and managed to rustle up a few good items to put to good use within the next few days!!  I couldn't pass up an opportunity to take a few pictures of the gorgeous produce!!





As we were walking to our car after picking up some produce..you'll never guess what we saw!  Air Force One was going in for a landing over at Yeager Airport!  The president and his "crew" were to be at the capital for the cermonies they had for our beloved Senator Robert C. Byrd who passed away earlier this week (he will be sorely missed by all..esp West Virginians).  But anyways..I don't think seeing an airplane ever excited me so much before!  Yeah..I know..I'm a country girl who never gets out of the "holler" much!  Hehe!  Anyways..I was able to grab the camera and snap a shot before it got totally out of sight..funny thing is..there was a bird in the picture right next to the plane..so its like..its a bird..its a plane..no its the president!



I was so thrilled to see that my favorite peaches that I buy every year (its a certain farmer/district whose peaches I buy from..not the "type" of peach per-say) were already at the market for purchasing!  I picked up a good amount to snack on as well as to make a dessert with that I'll share the recipe with you below!  We also picked up some italian peppers, yellow crookneck squash, and tomatoes!   Yum-o!!





Now..for my recipe I promised!  A quick and easy dessert thats great for anytime..but especially the summer months is a fruit pizza!  The best part?  You can use whatever fruit you like best, or whatever is in season (as it is with my peaches!)!  Enjoy the recipe..and have a Happy July 4th everyone!!

Fruit Pizza

1 tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1 8 oz. package softened cream cheese
approximately 1/4 - 1/3 cups confectioner's sugar
splash of milk
your favorite fruit--use as much or as little combinations as you wish!

Spread the sugar cookie dough out onto a pizza pan.  Bake as directed on package..being sure not to overbake (keep a watch on it after around 7-8 minutes).  Let cool.  Mix together the cream cheese, confectioner's sugar (using enough to make it sweet enough for your taste), and enough milk to make it a nice spreadable consistency.  Spread over cooled cookie crust.  Slice your favorite fruit(s) and arrange on "pizza".  Keep in the refrigerator..enjoy! 

Note: I like to use strawberry/kiwi combination..but feel free to use whatever suits your taste!  I'm fixing mine this weekend w/fresh peaches and nothing more!  Delish!

sig.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments! Thanks for stopping by!