But she loves it.
This is why I've given it thought.
- Sickness. Right now, there is a vicious bug going around the local school(s). Its getting spread like a wildfire out of control. Now sure, I know I could walk into the local grocery store or post office and catch it just the same. But, kids in school that are in contact with other (sick) kids are WAY more apt to catch something than those who aren't.
- Bullying. Again, kids can get bullied everywhere. And the one thing (probably the #1 thing) in my mind is that I do NOT want Makayla to feel isolated. As in have no friends. Kids NEED friends their own age. I want her to have healthy relationships with others growing up. The thoughts of her getting bullied in school makes me sad though. Because I endured it. I hated grade school because of that. I want better for my child.
- Violence. Sandy Hook, Columbine, Jonesboro, West Paducah. Need I say more? Just google lists of cities where school shootings have occured. Its a LONG list. And it can happen anywhere, including here where I live.
- One-on-one time. A lot of time, in a school setting kids don't get the individual time they need with a teacher to grasp a subject. Thats not something that would be an issue for a homeschooled child.
- Control. And not in the way you would think when you first see that word. Control, as in control over the material/subject matter that she is learning. Let me explain a little deeper..I want my child to grow up in a God centered world. I know the world is full of 'bad things' that I won't go into detail about and that she will be exposed to at some point in time. But my job as her parent is to protect..not only her physically..but spiritually too. I don't want her learning that the universe was created from a 'bang' or that having two mommies (or two daddies) is ok. I want her to learn what GOD says..not some theory or belief system that is tainted with lies and rubbish.
- The unknown. Like I said, I only know of one other person who homeschools. I don't know where I'd begin. But I know God would help show me the way if this is something He continues to lead me to do.
- Isolation. Again, I don't want Makayla to be isolated. I want her to have friends. To be involved in activities if she so pleases. I don't know how it would work for us, especially given that we live in the country.
- Stress. Not only on her, but myself as well. I'm not a teacher (by certification) and I'm not sure I'd know how to deal with teaching her schooling as a whole. Its scary to think about.
Do you homeschool or were homeschooled as a child? What were your experiences?