Monday, April 8, 2013

A legacy

I was thinking today of a lady that was near and dear to Damon and I who passed away several years ago.  She meant a great deal to Damon..he knew her his entire life while I met her through him after we were married.  She was an amazing lady.  Truly not ashamed of her faith in God.  Not afraid to speak her mind (in a good way).  Always held her head high..even when she fought cancer.  Ultimately, her time on earth ended and she went to be home with Jesus.

At her funeral, the preacher talked about the legacy she left behind.  And how we, as Christians, should think of this ourselves. 

What kind of legacy will you leave behind for others?

This lady's legacy was great. Grand, if you will.  She undoubtedly left a footprint of love and grace to all that she met.  I know she did mine.  I didn't know her 'that' long of a time, but the time I did know her..I admired her greatly.  How she was unafraid to show emotion when God moved her heart, her boldness in her Christianity, her loving and kind spirit. 

Do you ever stop to think, if you died today, what would others view your life as?  Were you kind?  Generous?  Giving?  Loving? A true Christian?  Granted, we can't control what others think of us..no matter how 'good' we are.  I'm sure there are those out there who were able to find flaws in even Mother Teresa.  Goodness knows they did with Jesus....

But life is short.  Here where I live, I can think over the years the lives of people I've known that were cut short.  And all that is left behind is the legacy they left.  Was it a good one?  Or less than par? 

Its so important to live our lives pleasing to God.  Whether you know it or not, people are watching you.  People you don't even know.  To me..that's scary at times.  Think about the times at the supermarket when you were in a long line and you rolled your eyes or sighed for the thousandth time when it took too long to get checked out (or someone had a return, etc, etc).  Granted, nothing wrong with that..but its the little things sometimes, that people notices most.  And I'll be the first to admit, I'm guilty.  I've contacted companies in a huff that I felt done me wrong.  I've been less than stellar more than a handful of times in my life.  Its human nature, I guess.  But..we should be careful of how we handle ourselves.  We are Christians.  Called to be full of grace. 

A legacy is a terrible thing to waste.  Don't let yours be jeopardized by a foolish action your taking today.  If you know your doing wrong...if you know your doing something sinful..if you know you need God's help..don't hesitate to go to Him in prayer and ask for help.  For forgiveness. 

Your legacy is worth it.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, good post Melanie! And this hit home with me because of something that happened recently - I realize I wasn't the best example of Christ's love, and I want to do better at thinking of that legacy even in the small decisions.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments! Thanks for stopping by!