Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Life is Short

I was on the phone last night until around 3 in the morning with my best friend.  She just had learned yesterday that a friend of hers had passed away.  If that wasn't bad enough..he was murdered in his own home..that he was afraid to live in.  The last phone conversation she had with him..he was just returning home and wanted her to stay on the phone with him until he made sure his house was safe and sound and was locked up safely for the night.  His house had been broken into 2 times prior..and he was just getting some of his belongings replaced, etc..so of course it was all still very fresh on his mind. 

It was really rough on my friend to learn this information..as it would anyone in the same shoes.  You never think that anyone you know will pass away suddenly, unexpectidly..especially by homicide.  It just goes to show you..we definately can't take life for granted.  It's so important to live each day for God..to be a witness to Him.  The one person you witness to today, it might really be their last time to hear about the great Saviour.  None of us knows how long our life here on earth will be..only God does.  Its amazing, to me, how much information God has about every single individual.  He even knows the number of hairs on our head. 

Take some time today to remember those who were lost suddenly.  Whether it was a soldier, someone who succumbed to cancer (my uncle falls into this category), someone who was murdered, or perhaps someone who died in a car accident.  And pray for those left behind with their memories, because they are the ones who hurt the most.......


sig.png

3 comments:

  1. How terribly sad. :( Unexpected and tragic and I'll definitely keep your friend in my thoughts and prayers.

    I had an old friend who used to call me from time to time or send a card in the mail, just to let me know he was thinking of me. I might hear from him once or twice a year. I came home from running errands one day and saw his number on the ID and thought "Well, he'll call back later." Same thing happened the next day. I just kept missing his call and he always called me while on break at work, so I wasn't able to return his call. A couple of weeks later I saw his obituary in the paper. :( He had been trying to get in touch with me to let me know he was dying. :( I was absolutely heartbroken that I had missed his calls. That was about 5 years ago and to this day it makes my heart ache to think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie - I'm so sorry for your friend's loss. It's so true - we never know how long/short our lives will be. As you said, the most important thing is to be a witness for Christ.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments! Thanks for stopping by!