Friday, June 18, 2010

Coal Miners Tribute

I guess most of you have heard the song "Coal Miner's Daughter"..it is a song that runs true for many here where I live!  I am a coal miners daughter (though my dad is retired now)..and most currently..a coal miners wife.  Coal mining is in most everyone's bloodline in southern WV and is something all are proud of as well.  This week..we are celebrating coal mining in my county with the annual Coal Festival!  Damon and I headed down this evening to walk around for a bit like we always do.  Its not a huge festival by any means, we usually go just to see who we can run into and chat with for a bit, and of course see the mining displays they have each year.  This year, with the tragedy that struck that unfortunately took 29 miners lives, they set up a display in front of the courthouse as a tribute to those who had fallen. 

I have to say I'm very proud and thankful for every coal miner.  I'm thankful they put their lives on the line each day not only for their own families to provide for them..but for everyone so we can have electricity for our everyday needs.  I can't put into words how proud I am of my husband for working in the career he does.  Its not one most would want to choose by any means..and isn't cut out for most.  It does, however, provide for my family, and for that I am most thankful.  Here is a piece of machinery that Damon has operated in the past..to give you an idea of the type of machinery it takes to do their jobs.



Hope everyone found something to be thankful for this thursday!  :-)


sig.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments! Thanks for stopping by!