Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday Munchies-Mud Brownies

Do you have the monday munchies yet?  I hope you do after you read the recipe I'm about to share with you today!  It's an old standby and I've lost count of the times I've whipped up this dessert when I was just in the mood for something chocolate..needed a quick go-to dessert for a church function..or when it had been too long since I'd last made it!  I call it "Mud Brownies"..sort of a take off of the old recipe Mississippi Mud Cake that my dad used to make alot when I was growing up (he did alot of baking..my mom sticked to meals mostly but baked when she was able to get me and my dad out of the kitchen long enough!).  Anyways..I "converted" this recipe since I'm such a HUGE fan of brownies (who isn't?) and I personally think its way better than the original made with a cake-base! 



Mud Brownies

Brownie:
4 squares BAKER'S Unsweetened Baking Chocolate

3/4 cups butter or margarine (1 1/2-sticks)
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extraxt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 13x9 pan with baking spray (like Pam).  Microwave the chocolate squares and butter in a microwaveable safe bowl, stirring occassionally as to not burn the chocolate, for about 2 minutes.  In a bowl, mix the sugar and chocolate mixture, then add eggs and vanilla.  Stir in the flour and nuts (if using) until all is combined.  Pour into prepared pan and bake for about 20-25 minutes, checking often for doneness using a toothpick (when it comes out clean..its done!). 

As soon as you remove the brownies from the oven, spread an 8 oz. jar of marshmellow cream over the brownies.  Let cool completely.

Topping:
1 stick melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup evaporated milk (can use regular milk also)
1 box (or about 2 cups) powdered sugar
1/3 cup cocoa

Sift the sugar and cocoa.  Mix with melted butter.  Add the rest of ingredients and mix until smooth.  Spread over the cooled brownies.
sig.png

1 comment:

  1. I dropped over from "Reflections" this morning. Noticing that you are from WV I thought I would tell you of myself, a fellow WV blogger. We are now in our 6th year here in Charleston, WV.

    Must admit I am not much for baking but your brownies sound wonderful...

    Blessings,
    Linda J

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments! Thanks for stopping by!