Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday Munchies!

Welcome to the first installment of "Monday Munchies"!  Cute title, huh?  I thought monday would be a great day to post some of my favorite recipes..maybe something I've tried new, or an old favorite!  Great start to the week, don't you think?  Anyways, on saturday night I made a rhubarb pie..with rhubarb I picked right from our garden..nothing beats something you've grown yourself!  Here is a picture of one of the rhubarb plants we now have (we currently have 3)..we are working on getting more so we have PLENTY to go around!


I had never made a rhubarb "anything" without strawberries added..so I was a bit hesistant making this with rhubarb standing alone.  But...the recipe came from one of many amish cookbooks I own..and my motto is you can't ever find a bad amish recipe!  Damon is a big fan of rhubarb and the first time I ever made a strawberry rhubarb cobbler for us when we were newly married..I don't think he'd even heard of having strawberries with rhubarb..can you imagine?!  Anyways..here is the finished product..add your own ooh's and ahh's here..hehe....





The end result was very tasty I might add!  Though I did miss the strawberries a bit..this recipe is definately a keeper and one I'd make again!  Also I might add..I combined 2 recipes to sort of make it "my own" (do you ever do that?)..I took the filling from one and the topping from another!  Enjoy and hope this satisfies your monday munchies!  ;-)

Rhubarb Crumb Pie

1 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups diced rhubarb
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Crumbs:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, cut up

Mix rhubarb with sugar and flour, beat eggs and add to mixture along with the vanilla.  Pour into a 9 inch pie shell.  Mix all ingredients for crumb topping except butter in another bowl.  Using fork, cut in the butter until crumbly.  Sprinkle over top of the rhubarb mixture.  Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, then at 300 for 30 minutes or until desired browness.


sig.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments! Thanks for stopping by!